Our church, the First United Methodist Church, is one of the few surviving Welsh Wesleyan Methodist churches in the country. The church’s Welsh connection comes from the Shiloh Welsh Wesleyan Church which merged with the First United Methodist Church in 1946. Shiloh was constructed from 1890-91 and its first service was held on August 16, 1891. First Methodist and Shiloh shared their minister, Rev. Car Hammerly, from 1939 to 1942.
In 1967 the First Methodist’s chapel was renamed Shiloh Chapel. The pulpit of marbleized slate from the Welsh church was placed in the chapel with refurbished furniture from the former church.